Windows Installer service not running 0x80070641

I'm not a computer scientist but, I think all those other instances of msi.dll are required by the operating system. Do you have all those files shown in my screenshot?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
@wither 3 if you run MSIExec, does it show V 4.5.6002.19424 or some other version?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I have (22) instances of msi.dll , with various file sizes....as per the screenshot shown.
Apparently each instance corresponds to a specific update (and obviously there is both an x64 and x86 instance in every case). 4.0.6001.18000 was the SP1 version, 4.5.6002.18005 was the SP2 version, etc. I fail to see how uninstalling KB3196726 (December 2016) could be expected to remove 4.5.6002.19424 (modified 6/17/2015), so you may have found some inaccurate information on the web. I wonder about those two versions modified in 11/2016 though. Edit: December 2016 update did install both 19712 and 24034.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Vistaar- I assume your last two posts are directed to Teknoskillz. Note that I'm away from home for the next 9 days so I won't be able to work with my Vista system to help. He hasn't responded to my last question.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I found info on the web that Windows updates issue the installers:

"...KB3196726 installs Windows Installer 4.5.6002.19424. We were able to rollback to 4.5.6002.18005 by uninstalling these windows updates."

I did remove .19424, however when I run msiexec, the window that shows up still says the same version is present. I guess I could try removing all those updates?
I am skeptical about this proposed solution, especially since that post was inaccurate with respect to the source of .19424, which was actually installed by KB3072630 (see File Information at MS15-074: Vulnerability in Windows Installer service could allow elevation of privilege: July 14, 2015). If you would rather try that approach again than a clean install of Windows, then I would suggest that you begin by once again uninstalling the newer KB3196726 and restarting, and only then uninstall the earlier security update for Windows Installer. The only thing I’m sure of is that your Windows Installer won’t be any more useless than it is now.
My best suggestion would be a clean install of Vista (or better yet, Windows 7). Since Windows Update no longer supports Vista, you would want to use a custom ISO that includes all the updates.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Just an update, been a long while still not solved the installer problem. Most stuff has its own installer these days so not
a huge problem but once in a while something needs this service to install.

Would maybe the Windows 7 Trusted installer be able to take this ones place somehow?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Gigabyte
    CPU
    Intel Core I7@3Ghz
    Memory
    18GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Gforce GTX285
Would maybe the Windows 7 Trusted installer be able to take this ones place somehow?
Long time no see! If you attempt to install a Windows 6.1 update on Windows 6.0, you should only get a message that the update does not apply to your system. Back in 2021 I suggested a clean install of Windows 7 on the hardware, but I’m no longer enthusiastic about that idea. Major browsers have ended their support for Windows 7 since then. You seem to be a gamer, and games have also been ending support for Windows 7 at a rapid pace. Your Vista x64 installation has had issues for 8 years that we know of. Too bad you didn’t reinstall Vista before August 2020. Frankly, if this Vista x64 system is your only PC, then you need a new PC!

I see we had a debate about the merits of Malwarebytes 2.2.1 versus 3.5.1 in this old thread. Definition updates for 2.2.1 have been discontinued since then, so Imacri wins that debate: 6-year-old 3.5.1 is now the last possible Malwarebytes version for Vista.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Indeed, its been a chore figuring out how to keep Vista working with all the new stuff. I recently could not send email
from its Windows Mail client - Vista is more or less: Windows 6 , and it only has up to TLS 1.2 but there was a workaround
to make it do TLS1.3 and there are some Mozilla and Chrome browser forks that work well with Vista so I can still do most
of what I need to do with this OS. I have been malware and virus free for quite some time as the attackers will always look to harvest
new crop with whatever the latest and greatest OS happens to be, so I am glad to be behind the "windows 8 ball" so to speak hah.
Would be nice if I could get the system file problem resolved, but now that I know the names of the files it fixed today which were

inetres.admx
and
secpol.msc

Maybe I can check the log next time to see if those same ones are fixed again. If so that may
indicate some kind of leftover malware still lingering around that may be effecting the installer possibly.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Gigabyte
    CPU
    Intel Core I7@3Ghz
    Memory
    18GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Gforce GTX285
...Would be nice if I could get the system file problem resolved, but now that I know the names of the files it fixed today which were

inetres.admx
Interestingly, @wither 3 reported exactly the same problem in June 2019, and very likely still has this problem since no solution was suggested. In his case, that was just 2 months after he reinstalled Vista. I never had the problem myself.

How does one repair inetres.admx?

and
secpol.msc

Maybe I can check the log next time to see if those same ones are fixed again.
That file is the Local Security Policy Editor, which was only included in Vista Business, Ultimate and Enterprise. Unfortunately Imacri, wither 3 and I are (or at least were) all Vista Home Premium users who never had that file. However, this forum has a tutorial posted back in 2009. If you can open the Security Policy Editor (trying might throw an error if it’s really corrupt), I would snoop around for any setting that might affect Windows Installer, being sure to check inside the Software Restriction Policies folder.

Local Security Policy Editor - Open

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Hmm didnt see anything of interest in the Local sec policy editor. The firewall service is turned off
is all that I see its indicating.

Found this about adminx:

Not sure what it means entirely.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Gigabyte
    CPU
    Intel Core I7@3Ghz
    Memory
    18GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Gforce GTX285
Just an update, been a long while still not solved the installer problem.

Hi Teknoskillz:

We have no idea what changes, if any, you have made to your system in the past three years. The system information file (i.e., the zipped msinfo32.txt) you attached in your 06-Aug-2021 post # 5 showed the C:\Windows\system32\msi.dll file for your 64-bit Vista Ultimate SP2 OS was v4.5.6002.19424 and that your Event Viewer was logging intermittent errors for ntdll.dll, but it would be helpful if you could post a fresh zipped copy of your msinfo32 output.

It would also be helpful if you could provide the following information (see my 19-Aug-2021 post # 25 for further details):

1. If you enter msiexec in a Run dialog box (Windows ky + R) does it show you have the correct Windows Installer v4.5.6002.19424?

2. Have you re-registered your Windows Installer service? If the instructions in Step # 5 of the Techwalla article MSI Won't Install I suggested don't work try the instructions in Step # 3 of the MiniTool article Top 4 Ways to Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed you referenced in your 21-Aug-2021 post # 29.

3. Is the Windows Installer service listed in your Windows Services (Start | Windows Administrative Tools | Services) , and if so does it have the default Startup Type of Manual as shown below? NOTE: This service might be missing if you still haven't re-registered it.

Vista SP2 Windows Installer Service Manual Stopped EDITED 10 Nov 2018.png

4. If the Windows Installer service is listed in your Windows Services, start this service manually (i.e., so the Status is "Started") and then right-click one of your problematic .msi installers and choose "Run as Administrator" (if this option is offered in the pop-up context menu). Does the .msi installer run to completion without throwing a 0x80070641 error?

5. Are your problematic .msi installers signed with a SHA-1 digital certificate? The image below for the latest iTunes v12.13.2.3 installer (iTunes64.msi) shows it is only signed with a SHA256 (a.k.a. SHA-2) digital certificate that would not run on a Vista SP2 machine patched to end of extended support (11-Apr-2017), since such a Vista SP2 machine would only support installers signed with a SHA-1 (or dual SHA-1 / SHA-2) digital certificate.

Win 10 Pro v22H2 File Explorer Unzipped iTunes64_msi 12_13_2_3 Properties SHA-256 Only 21 May ...png

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
Hello Imacri:

1) Yes same version.

2) I get the attached message with most MSI files trying to run. However the one I want to install but wont is PDFXVE9, PDF Exchange 9
and it actually seems to nearly install then fails with a different looking error message. I have tried runregistering and re-registering both the 32 and 64 bit command lines. Back when I first posted I believe I tried renaming the DLL's....then I noticed the many duplicate DLL's
and thought something there could be the reason for the problem.

3) My installer is listed as: Windows modules installer, startup manual.....but of course before I try to run an MSI I start the service.

4) With run as admin, same results when trying to install the PDF Exchange 9...the windows Installer dialogue pops up 4 times, then the attached error message shows.

5) Yes, in properties , digital signatures the PDF Exchange 9 MSI says the same thing - sha256

Attachments

• msi_.png
    msi_.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 3
  • trusted.jpg
    trusted.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 3
  • pdfex.jpg
    pdfex.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 3

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Gigabyte
    CPU
    Intel Core I7@3Ghz
    Memory
    18GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Gforce GTX285
Would be nice if I could get the system file problem resolved, but now that I know the names of the files it fixed today which were inetres.admx and secpol.msc.
Maybe I can check the log next time to see if those same ones are fixed again.

Hi Teknoskillz:

If you run a fresh sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt with Administrator rights does it report that you have files that can't be repaired? If your CBS.log file shows that your damaged inetres.admx and secpol.msc files were repaired then you shouldn't need to repair them again, unless they are repeatedly corrupted every time you re-boot your system.

The firewall service is turned off

What antivirus are you currently using, and are you using a third-party firewall (e.g., a firewall that comes bundled with your antivirus) that you use instead of your built-in Windows Firewall? I believe your Windows Firewall service should always have a Startup Type of Automatic and Status of Started as shown in my first image above in post # 51, since most third-party firewalls still require components of the Windows Firewall API to function correctly.

Found this about adminx: ... Not sure what it means entirely.

I'm not certain, but as far as I know ADMX templates are special files that can be imported into the Group Policy Editor that give System Administrators the ability to control additional settings in remote clients (e.g., to ensure Windows Updates are managed uniformly across all client computers in a local area network). I don't think it's somthing the average home consumer needs to worry about.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Here is MSINFo32

Attachments

• msinfo32_teknoskillz.zip
    53.2 KB · Views: 2

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Gigabyte
    CPU
    Intel Core I7@3Ghz
    Memory
    18GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Gforce GTX285
sfc scannow ran as admin does find problems:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    541.4 KB · Views: 2

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Gigabyte
    CPU
    Intel Core I7@3Ghz
    Memory
    18GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Gforce GTX285
... However the one I want to install but wont is PDFXVE9, PDF Exchange 9
Hi Teknoskillz:

I'll read your reply in greater detail tomorrow, but as far as I know PDF-XChange Editor v10.x requires Win 7 and higher. If you are certain that the previous PDF-XChange Editor v9.x is compatible with Vista SP2 (which is doubtful if the digital certificate does not have a SHA-1 hash) have you tried the .exe installer?

For now, I would suggest you go to PDF-XChange Discontinued Downloads and see if the .exe installer for PDF-XChange Viewer v2.5.322.10 installs correctly. That is the PDF-XChange product I used on my own Vista SP2 machine.

NOTE: In a worst-case scenario you should be able to unzip the .zip (portable) build of PDF-XChange Viewer that does not require installation and run the PDFXCview.exe executable from any location, including a removable USB stick.

PDF-XChange Viewer Download.png

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
So the Windows modules installer is for Windows updates, then that means the Windows installer service is not showing up
in the services readout. I think that was where I left off 3 yrs ago....we could not figure out why, then went exploring all those DLL files
and put it on the shelf.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Gigabyte
    CPU
    Intel Core I7@3Ghz
    Memory
    18GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Gforce GTX285
Here is MSINFo32

Hi Teknoskillz:

Thanks for the updated msinfo2.txt file.

I'm not an expert at reading msinfo32 output, but the good news is that the [Windows Error Reporting] section of your new output no longer has the "faulting module ntdll.dll" errors your Event Viewer was logging in 2021, and I'm guessing a past sfc /scannow was able to repair this Vista system file. The majority of your errors are now related to your Mypal v68.12.0.8195 browser (faulting module xul.dll), along with the occasional error for WolfMP.exe v0.0.0.0 (faulting module cgame_mp_x86.dll) and DivX Player.exe v11.6.1.10 (faulting module unknown).

Just a guess, but your Mypal / xul.dll crashes might be related to a problematic browser extension (which was often the case with my legacy Firefox ESR v52.9.0 browser - see my 10-Jan-2024 post for general comments about Firefox ESR v52 and Mypal v68 in CB-1's Internet Problem), but an update to Mypal v68.14.1 (rel. 05-May-2024) might help. You might also have better luck with the "old" Mypal v29.3.0 browser offered at Mypal - Download. I don't use Mypal, but the "new" Mypal v68 is based on the Firefox Quantum engine and is still in development, and that download page suggests that the "old" Mypal v29 is currently the better choice for 64-bit OSs.

I still cannot see the Windows Installer service (msiserver) listed in the [Services] section of your new output, but once you've answered all my questions in post # 51 we might have a better idea what happened to this service. The fact that you de-registered this service 3 years ago while troubleshooting might be relevant.

So the Windows modules installer is for Windows updates, then that means the Windows installer service is not showing up in the services readout.

See the first image of my Vista SP2 services in post # 51. The description of Windows Installer service (msiserver) says this service "Adds, modifies, and removes applications provided as a Windows Installer (*.msi) package", so I don't think this service is restricted to installation of Windows Updates. I'm not an expert in this area, but as long as this service is missing (or isn't registered correctly) I don't think you will be able to install any application that is distributed as a .msi file. That is why I suggested that you try the .exe installer for the legacy (Win XP and Vista) PDF-XChange Viewer v2.5.322.10 in post # 56.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Hello Imacri

I have PDF ex V5.5 installed for years so I know it works with Vista. I was told V9 would work back around that time, not sure where
I read it, may have been support from their website am not sure. I think I have answered all the questions from #51, if not let me know. Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Gigabyte
    CPU
    Intel Core I7@3Ghz
    Memory
    18GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Gforce GTX285
sfc scannow ran as admin does find problems: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired ... For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Hi Teknoskillz:

If you run a fresh sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt with Administrator rights today does it continue to report that "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them"? The 21-May-2024 SFC log in your latest CBS.log file (i.e., the entries tagged with the string "[SR]") says ...

2024-05-21 23:06:47, Info CSI 00000529 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction have been successfully repaired

... so your next SFC /scannow should look like this if every damaged system file it found was repaired correctly. If you still believe there is a problem with the inetres.admx and secpol.msc files you mentiond in post # 48 then you'll have to provide further information.

Vista SP2 System File Checker SFC Scannow EDITED 22 Jul 2019.png

I didn't bother to read through your entire 5 MB CBS.log file that dates back to Feb 2024, especially when I don't know the exact dates and times you ran past SFC scans. See my 19-Aug-2021 post # 25 about extracting SFC logs from your CBS.log file and links to information about interpreting SFC log entries.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM